What’s wrong with networking meetings? It’s the same thing that’s wrong with most business meetings. Organizers and hosts take things for granted.
These meetings leave the impression that…
- Everyone who should know everyone already does.
- It’s obvious how our meeting works and if you don’t get it, too bad.
- People with different tastes just shouldn’t eat with us.
- If you can’t find us, not our problem.
- We’re glad you came, but we don’t really care if you had a good time or come back.
The prevalence of these really makes me hate to go to meetings. The worst offenders are the ones that call themselves “networking” meetings. I wrote A Networker’s Guide to Success. I know what networking can and should be. [Read more…]